Protect Your Pet From Poisons

What’s lurking in your house that could make your pet sick? Turns out, lots of things.

National Animal Poison Prevention Week is March 17—23, and we want you to be aware of substances that should stay out of paw’s reach!

  • Human medications. Keep them in sealed containers and locked away as pets might see loose pills and think they’re treats.
  • Plants. Dogs and cats like to chew on plants, but some can make your pet very ill. The most common toxic plants are azaleas, lilies, daffodils and tulips.
  • Chocolate and Xylitol. Candies and treats that contain chocolate and xylitol (a sweetener often found in peanut butter and chewing gum) are extremely toxic to pets. Chocolate can cause upset stomachs, heart arrhythmia, and seizures. Xylitol can bring on hypoglycemia, seizures, liver failure and even death if large amounts are consumed. 
  • Rat poisons and snail bait. Even if the box says “pet safe”, these products contain substances that can be as deadly to your pet as they are to the critters you want to eliminate. Avoid having them in your home and choose non-toxic options for pest control. 

If you believe your pet has been poisoned or ingested something that could be toxic, contact us as soon as possible by calling (703) 956-1522. The ASPCA’S Poison Control Website and Helpline is another great resource for immediate assistance. Be safe!