The winter holidays are fun for us humans, but our parties, decorations, and festive foods can put our pets at risk! Here are a few tips for keeping your animal companion safe this season:
If you have a cat, skip the tinsel. Cats are particularly attracted to shiny objects, so they’ll likely try and play with and eat it, which can cause gastrointestinal obstructions.
Secure your Christmas tree to the ground or the wall to keep it from falling over if your dog bumps it or your cat climbs it. You can also deter your pets from the tree by hanging lemon-scented air fresheners in it.
Holly, mistletoe, poinsettias and lilies, are highly toxic to cats and dogs and can cause organ failure and death if pets eat them.
You know chocolate is a no-no for fido. Also on the naughty list are grapes, raisins, onions, currants, macadamia nuts or walnuts. Watch for the artificial sweetener xylitol in candy, gum and some peanut butters—it can make your pet very ill.
Having guests over or a holiday party? Consider putting excitable or anxious pets in another room with toys and bedding. This way, your pet has somewhere to hide and feel safe outside of the commotion.
Watch those alcoholic drinks! It doesn’t take much for small animals to get alcohol poisoning, which can cause serious health complications.