Oct 21 2015

Halloween Treats & Tricks

TRICKS AND TREATS

Many of the same treats that sate your sweet tooth every Halloween can also be a threat to the health of your pet. Here is your guide to some candy’s ghoulish consequences (and we don’t mean cavities).

Chocolate

The first signs of chocolate toxicity are restlessness, hyperactivity, panting, increased urination and vomiting. Untreated, these signs can progress to cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, and even coma.

If your pet eats chocolate you should call your vet or an emergency veterinary clinic immediately. Once on the phone the doctor or technician may ask you for more information about the chocolate including what type, how much, and how long ago it was eaten.

And remember, not all chocolate is created equal. It takes less dark than milk chocolate to have the same bad effects.

Tricks:

  1. Always assume the dog ate every last morsel
  2. Just because your dog vomited up chocolate does not mean that they don’t require care
  3. Remember to mention any packaging and wrappers they may have eaten

Mints

Some brands of mints and gums contain the sweetening agent Xylitol. When ingested, it can cause a very severe hypoglycemia. Signs of hypoglycemia can include weakness, lethargy, seizures and death.

Tricks:

  1. Check packaging of gums and mints for Xylitol. If ever in doubt about a product, call your veterinarian.
  2. Safe doggie mints are available at many pet stores
  3. The best way to treat bad breath is regular dental care with your veterinarian and at home.

 Raisins (Raisenets)

Raisins when ingested by dogs have the potential for to cause acute kidney failure. Without the kidneys, toxins begin to build up in the blood. Signs of renal failure include lethargy, inappetence, vomiting, increased drinking and urination, or no urination at all. Even if successfully treated, afflicted animal’s usually have life long kidney disease as a result.

Tricks

  • Acute renal failure is very serious and often fatal. Seek veterinary help immediately
  • Grapes are equally as toxic and should be treated the same way.
  • Just go ahead and eat the raisins yourself. They’re good for you.

amcc1234 | Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Location

Location Hours
Monday7:00am – 7:00pm
Tuesday7:00am – 7:00pm
Wednesday7:00am – 7:00pm
Thursday7:00am – 7:00pm
Friday7:00am – 7:00pm
Saturday8:00am – 2:00pm
SundayClosed